THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE


THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE
Saw a movie with this title and it caught my interest. The actress said, ‘the things we lost in the fire are just things, as long as we have each other’. Just a few hours later, I hear of the tragic death of over 30 people (not accurate as yet) in an accident that led to a fire that further led to their untimely demise.
It got me thinking, we lose our credentials or important documents in a fire and we grieve at the loss, but how do you grieve at the loss of human lives that set out to have a normal day and met their death because of the greed and carelessness of a few men. I am pained and I thought to share it on my blog and reiterate what I always say, we bother about money, status, career……they are just things, as long as we have each other.
Appreciate the life you have today and the people you have to share it with as well as the creator who made it possible. My heart goes out to the families affected and I pray for comfort and ask that we all brace up and ask why a check point was on a highway with a descending valley on a Sunday morning, when the police will stop hurting the innocent and start fighting for them instead, when the money collection on the highway will stop and dignity will be restored, bearing in mind we’re soon to be 50 in this nation, we need this change to start now! God help us!
DEDICATED TO ALL WHO MET A TRAGIC DEATH IN THAT FIRE AT BERGER(LAGOS) ON 15TH AUGUST 2010. RIP.

TOYIN SETH-OGUNGBEMI
16TH AUGUST 2010.

Comments

  1. i was watching the world cup finals again and when they played the Spanish national anthem everyone stood up to sing, all the local police men saluted.
    its not just the policemen, in my opinion they are the product of an apathetic nation, the change needs to start at the grassroots until it becomes a revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt, but i focused on the police today cos i was pained by the tragic incident started by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello TY,

    I think you a very smart lady...Honestly I had already prepared a very similar stuff in my blog when I ran across your post...I saw this unfortunate incident on CNN last night, and my heart once again was broken...I almost immediately cursed my being born in this part of the world...Even this morning, my boss and a staff was already on their way to Ibadan for a crucial meeting when we had a call that the attendees should make their journey through Ishagamu, coz their was a heavy petrol tanker that has blocked the road and that caused serious traffic hold-up. Now I must say it's good you have posted this and I have come to share in the pains and sorrows as a result of these loss. May God have mercy on their soul and grant them eternal rest. As for the irresponsible and wicked attitudes of our so called leaders...well, I think all these would be finally laid to rest in our country the day our (All of Us) bury their indolent attitude to their sufferings and predicaments.

    Thank you TY for sharing this...God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things we lost in the fire...
    While we speak of physical fires and lost lives, and pray that they were ready to meet their creator, that title also reminds me of intangible fires and intangible things which we all need to lose in them, like the dross from gold when it passes through the fire.
    I guess in some way, we all pass through fires and I pray everyday that when I do, I hope what I lose in it is not everything I am. I keep praying that there's enough gold in me to make a vessel of honor after the dross burns away. And I pray the same for all who read this blog today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DO IT AFRAID!!!

An Open Letter To The Girl I Was

...MIRACLE...